Friday, December 17, 2010

Quirky morning banter

Conversation at breakfast this morning:

Nicholas asked, "How long does it take to get through college?"

"It depends on what your major is," said Andrew.

"Usually around four years if you go full-time, but if you have to work sometimes it takes longer," I said.  I was not about to bring up the fact that college can take longer if you are having too much fun.

"Well, I want to go so I can get the best job in the world."

"What would that be?" Katie asked.

"Working at McDonald's," Nicholas answered proudly.

"Oh my gosh, Nicholas!  That's not the best job," Andrew corrected.

At the same time, Katie said, "Nicholas, you don't have to go to college to work at McDonald's."

Nicholas defended himself, "But I could get all the happy meals and toys I want, AND free french fries whenever I want!"

Not in California, I thought.

"Maybe you can work there during high school.  It could be your very first job," I said with a smile.

The conversation was like a little commercial; quick and to the point.  Then it was time to get ready for the last day of school before the Christmas holidays. 

**********

Pete had gone to work before we woke up this morning, so I took the kids to school.  On the way, I called my mom to say 'Good Morning' because we usually talk around eight.  My dad has been feeling bad, so I asked her how he was doing.  Then I asked my mom if he was playing golf today.  (My dad usually plays golf four or five times a week now that he is retired.  When he is not playing golf, he is practicing at the driving range).  Mom said he was not playing today, which meant he REALLY felt like crud. 

When I got off the phone, Nicholas was the first one to speak.

"Is Papa playing golf today?"

"Not today," I answered.

"That's weird," said Katie.

 "Yeah, because he is always playing golf," Nicholas said.

"Well, he's not feeling up to PAR right now," I said, oblivious to the pun; but my sharp kids picked up on it.  They burst out in laughter.

"Up to PAR... that's clever, Mom," Andrew pointed out.

I decided to keep it a secret that what I said was unintentional and smiled.

I am so ready to have my children home with me for two weeks!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Isn't it funny how put off we were about how long college takes (especially if you do more than four years) and yet I don't think I'm in a slim minority of those who would LOVE to be back in for college.

As for your comment that it takes lots longer if you're having fun: My friend asked her son if he was going to make it out in four years, and he said, "Mama, graduating from college in four years is like leaving the party at eleven o'clock."

Jeni said...

Wow, what fun conversations you have ~ thank you for sharing them! They are so smart. You and Pete are such wonderful parents!!