Friday, January 21, 2011

Big Tent Poetry Prompt: Food

Spaghetti and Waffles
by Laurie Kolp

He told me I was slurpy spaghetti
that my thoughts
wiggled and jiggled and whirled
connecting
without beginning or end
filled with saucy spicy emotions
a predictable trend--

S            h          i
   p     g     e     t
      a           t



I said he was a square waffle
with ideas  compartmentalized
cut and dry,  nothing special
sticky syrupy thickness  like
his hardhead ever refusing to
budge; square waffle- - blah.


*Although I have never read the book, a friend shared the concept with me one day over ice cream. 
Men are Like Waffles, Women are Like Spaghetti
By Bill and Pam Farrel

18 comments:

vivinfrance said...

Men do waffle, don't they! Good fun.

Dick said...

I rather think that I'm more spaghetti than waffle, male status notwithstanding. Must be all the time I spend with the playground mums when I'm doing the school run!

flaubert said...

Love the concept! Men are like waffles, ha! Good fun.
Pamela

liv2write2day said...

I love it! Very clever with a bit of truth tucked inside.

Tumblewords: said...

Clever and fun!

Jeanne Aguilar said...

I love this one! This is so funny and also kinda pulled me into thinking about the whole left brained, right brained thing!

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Thank you!

caroleesherwood said...

oh, ourselves as food! how lovely! i am not sure i'd want to know what food metaphor is right for me, though! yikes!

what a fun piece!

Mad Kane said...

That was great fun. An apt, clever description.

joannejohns said...

Awesome concept, extra awesome formatting :)

I think I'm neither waffle nor spaghetti. More the cake that never turns out the same way twice.

Tilly Bud said...

I like what you've done here, especially the poem's shape.

nan said...

I like the conversation and the structure. Fun.

Linda H. said...

haha :-) Good one, Laurie.

mark said...

Great layout in the middle and there is a sing-song quality to this. Read it out loud and see...

Well played.

gospelwriter said...

Love your response to the Food prompt, the words and the form - I think my favourite so far. I would so much rather be spaghetti than waffles in these terms. But, the Farrels obviously never sampled my mom's to-die-for waffles, rich and delicious, cooked in a cast-iron waffle iron that makes a large round waffle with five heart-shaped segments, and served with fruit in season and a white sauce...

lightverse said...

I never would have thought of it that way! What fun, and how clever of you!

Deb said...

The set on the page is wonderful, too!

Deb said...

I love how you set it on the page, too!