Friday, January 23, 2009

The Family Feels Incomplete Without Pete

Wednesday morning, just as I was getting ready to leave the house, Pete pulled into the driveway, cell phone to his ear. It was only 10:00 A.M. He told me he had to go to Savannah RIGHT NOW. His plane was leaving from Houston at 1:00. Okay~I thought.
"The kids will be upset you didn't get to tell them goodbye," I said as he rushed out the door.
"I know- there's not enough time..they'll understand. I'll call you this evening."

Well, when I picked the children up from school, they were very sad- in fact Katie started crying (I think she is reaching that hormonal/emotional roller-coaster age, but that's a story for another time). So I have done my best to make this time without dad as fun as possible.
We've been going out to eat. The first night we went to Luby's and I was quite surprised at how much the kid's meals had gone down in price. The four of us ate there for $15.25! Last night we had Taco Bell for @$12.00. I was much too tired to cook after teaching preschool art all day. The funny thing is that I had gone to the store before Pete left and had been planning on making homemade lasagne as a surprise. I guess that will be his welcome home meal! Today is Friday, and I told the kids I would take them bowling after school. They are so excited. Since they have been bowling so much on the Wii, they want to see if they have improved in real life...we'll see.
Anyway, we are trying to pass the time without daddy quickly and haven't even felt the urge to get a new pet (the kids and I got Jake as a puppy when Pete was in Greece)...yet.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

good work, girl! i know i have a hard time fixing meals when Mark is gone!

daddies are so important!