Saturday, October 17, 2009

Introducing Chef Katie

Ever since she was a little girl, Katie has loved to cook. I remember how at the young age of three, sweet Katie would watch me cook with a deep look of wonderment and fascination in her eyes. I would let her help me make various things by allowing her to pour the sugar into the bowl, help stir or shower sprinkles on a cake. By the time Katie was four, she was helping me bake pumpkin pie and doing more and more. That Christmas she got an Easy-Bake oven. We experimented with that thing and tried out all the not-so-yummy treats. But Katie learned a lot about measuring and hot ovens. As the years have flown, Katie has begun cooking more and more; even attempting dinner a few times successfully.
The other day, Nicholas brought home this cute book from school, "Cook-A-Doodle-Do. We read it one night before bed and he begged for me to make the strawberry shortcake, using the recipe in the back. Guess who helped him make it? You guessed it- Katie! Together, they made this wonderful dessert. Katie patiently showed him how to measure and stir; all the things she had learned at a young age. I really enjoyed watching Katie and Nicholas in the kitchen...and we all enjoyed eating this scrumptious delight.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

That is such a sweet blog ... No pun intended! The dessert looks wonderful. You have such wonderful family moments! You and pete are such loving parents... So good! Oh, kelsey has Bern going to your church with a friend of hers ... She goes to the later service & she thinks you go to the earlier, hopefully you will run into her :)!

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Thank you, Jeni...and you're a loving aunt and friend (wife, too, I'm sure).

I WISH I could see Kelsey and Brett. Is Kelsey going to 11:30? We got to 9:30, although every once in a while, the 11:30.

Holli said...

Wow! That's impressive! Gabi's been wanting an easy-bake oven but I'm hoping we can talk her out of it before Christmas.

Linda Danna said...

mmm that looks delicious! Im glad i know someone who loves to cook like i do! Maybe one day me and Katie can own bakery! hehe

Jeni said...

I also think she goes on Wednesday nights too, with her friend. i will find out if she is going this Wednesday.