Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Life Happens

The past few days have not been conducive to large chunks of quality writing.   Yesterday morning I got a call from my mom.  She and my dad had been up half the night because they had a water leak in their upstairs bathroom.  It went through the ceiling and flooded their kitchen.  When they went downstairs at four o'clock in the morning, the microwave and dishwasher were running!  Water was in the cabinets, drawers and everywhere in-between.  I spent the morning helping my poor parents clean up the messy spill, and the water wasn't spring-like at all.  Let's just say the odor was horrific.  I was able to get a little writing in before I had to get the kids, though, and it was a wonderful experience.  I was able to write freely in what little time I had without interruptions.

Debra, Peggy, Me, Sylvia N., Carol

Last night, I went to the GTWG meeting and had a great time with my beautiful writer friends.  The hurricane anthology, It's In the Gulf, was finally ready to be picked up.  My story, "Trapped" is in the book.  The guild started the book after Ike and it has been waiting to be published for nearly two years now!  Although everyone's bios are passe and the print is very small, it turned out to be a nice publication.

Sylvia Dickey Smith and Me

Sylvia Dickey Smith was the guest speaker at the meeting.  She has written and published many books, her most recent being the historical fiction novel set in Orange, Texas called A War of Her Own.  I really enjoyed listening to Sylvia share on different ways to show character's emotion.

Today I had a morning obligation.  Pete had some extra time to come home and take me to lunch, which was a pleasant surprise.  Then I picked the kids up, tutored after school, etc.  We went to mass for All-Souls day, where I had requested special intentions for Mary and Ms. Angelle.  It was very moving.

So as you can see today has been busy today, too.  But I did get to write for a brief, yet very productive, period of time.  Hopefully tomorrow life will slow down and I will be able to march on ahead with my exciting NaNoWriMo novel.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

What a wonderful group of women you are connected with. I hope you truly know taht Mary & Ms. Angelle are still with you :)!
You are on a wonderful path Laurie ~ I'm so proud of you....xoxo

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

Whoops my dear writing partner... my post disappeared... along with a rah rah cheered

Perhaps my post is languishing unmodified
as team LKP and PKP
continue to meet their individual challenge
collectively!

Rah, Rah, Siss Boom Bah
Go Team!