Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A playground mishap

I got the dreaded call today.

"Hello?  This is the nurse from BlankBlankA-Blankell..."

Oh dear.  Who threw up?

"...and I have Nicholas here with me."

Maybe he is just congested.

"He took a fall on the playground."

FLASHBACK.  Six years ago.  Preschool.  Same words, different child.  Andrew's nose is broken on rickety bridge.  Oh dear!

"Is he okay?  What happened?"  I blurt out.

"Well, he took a tumble onto the woodchips while he was playing on a piece of equipment.  He scratched the left side of his face from his eye down to his cheek."

Heart thumping.  Palms sweaty.  My poor baby.  I must go get him and snatch him up into my arms.

"He's okay, Mom.  I just wanted you to know."

Did you read my mind?

"Are you sure?"

"Yes.  He's being Nicholas- happy and chatting away."

"Well...give him a hug for me."

Letting go is so hard.


1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oh No!! I remember my lil brother always & I mean always getting hurt. More so than us girls. i guess its part of being a boy. He'll have lots of stories to tell when he's older.