Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reach for the stars

Getting work published is every writer's goal, especially this one.  I spend a good part of my day researching and studying viable candidates for submittance of my poems and short stories (and eventually novels).  I spend a greater amount of time fine tuning my work before I send it in.  Then I wait.  And wait and wait.  I work on more projects while I wait, or I mow the yard, pull weeds, clean and tend to the laundry, etc...all of this why the kids are in school. 

Many times I get those loathsome, much feared rejections which I used to take very personally.  I have now acquired a thicker layer of skin to handle the blow- something every writer must have, but which was difficult for someone as sensitive as me to acquire.  In fact, it nearly took an act of Congress before I would share my work with friends because writing is so personal.  So I guess I have made a little progress because I want to share my work with you.  I have taken the plunge; I am sending in work regularly.  

My love for writing is stronger and more powerful than any temporary hurt feelings (when rejected) that wave through my body like a stadium of fans at a ballgame.  Here are my latest publications, both out this week- my bright stars within a pile of rejections.  Just click on the links to get there.  Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.  Thank you!

Poem/STONE -a handful of stones

Short story "A Walk in the Woods," The Dead Mule School of Southern Literature

2 comments:

Linda H. said...

I love your hunting story. We have wild boar in our area, and I know how they can storm through. A mother with her young can be very aggressive. Glad your story ending happily.

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Thanks, Linda. I never would have thought I would have such an experience. They came up and rushed by so fast! One of my many wild adventures...