Wednesday, July 6, 2011

From Words in a Dictionary

What you see
What we see

We found you lurking in the shadow of our words,
sycophants swallowing their own reflections;
yet in the confining recesses of the folds
where we live, an ongoing competition ensues.
Vying for selection, we decorate our meanings
with elusive verbiage. We watch as searching
eyes become airport scanners with not an inch
to spare, hoping that maybe this time we’ll pass
the test and leave a legacy for ambiguous intent.  

@laurie kolp

Prompt inspiration: Poets United's Thursday Think Tank, Alias Jinsky Two in TandemPoetic Asides

17 comments:

Nancy said...

I love his one, Laurie.

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks...I thought you might, Nancy.

Unknown said...

You do have a way with words.

Jinksy said...

That is a most intriguing interpretation - you captured all the mystery I felt as the image appeared before my eyes. Producing 'paintings' on a tablet is so far removed from using other media, I find it's almost like meditating a picture into existence - there is no relation between hand and screen other than in the mind. I can't watch my fingers draw, the way I would normally. Thank yu so much for playing...

Louise said...

Laurie, I just loved these words. Brilliant take on the prompt!

Linda H. said...

Wow! Another good one.

Susannah said...

Nice one. I particularly liked... "We watch as searching
eyes become airport scanners with not an inch to spare"

Poets United said...

A skilled write. Impressive weaving of words!

SG said...

Beautiful take on the prompt. Your words are just right on. Even I have felt, thought and been like that at times. And later on, in retrospect, the realization that I have been like that has made me want to change those thoughts in the past.

Isabel Doyle said...

a veritable thesaurus of a piece!

annell4 said...

I liked this one!

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Laurie,

Written with a clever respect for words!

Eileen

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Very clever, I love the "airport scanner" eyes. Good one!

Carolina said...

Very clever indeed.

flaubert said...

A fine piece of writing, Laurie.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

i absolutely adore the image of how they see themselves! your take on the prompt is amazing ~ love it!

Ella said...

I agree so clever, such thought provoking imagery~ I love this view~