Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sad news

The second day of school was quite different than the first.  The boys had a good day, but Katie did not.  She was having a hard time with the lock on her locker, so she was late to one class and then she could not get her lunch out.  Thankfully, a good friend lent Katie some money so she could buy a sandwich.

A short while after we got home and settled, Katie passed through the kitchen as I prepared dinner.  She blurted out the most shocking, sad news I have heard in a long time:

"AND my Social Studies teacher was killed yesterday."

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Yes.  It was all over school this morning and I didn't know.  She was driving home from work and her car flipped.  She died instantly."

I stood frozen in time with no words to say.  I just gave Katie a big hug.  Apparently it was the same teacher she raved about last night...the nicest one who said she made cookies and brownies for her students.  The same teacher who had her first day of teaching in a new school and then left to drive the thirty minute distance to her husband and children.  One instant and everything changed.  Even though Katie met her for fifty minutes on one day, she will be missed.  God bless her soul.

Enjoy each moment of each day, you never know when God will call your way.

5 comments:

S.E.Ingraham said...

Isn't that just the worst? And so difficult to explain the why of to ourselves, never mind our children - my heart hurts for your Katie; I think I might have a soft-spot for her as we also have a Katy (different spelling, but still...) - you're so right about enjoying each moment. Things can and do change sometimes, in a heartbeat.

Judy Roney said...

This is so heartbreaking, Laurie. My thoughts go to the loved ones of the teacher and to Katie and all the students. Such a shame; it's hard to think about.
Thank goodness for the friendship shown to Katie at school. Thank goodness for friends.

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Sharon~Thank you for your kind words.

Judy~I agree...friends are the best.

Jeni said...

So sad! Well, we know she's in a place of peace and joy.. Only us on earth feel the pain! I pray for everyone she left behind!

Peggy Clement said...

That's so sad! I hope Katie's year gets better than it began.