Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Candle Mishap

I'm a Yankee Doodle, candle kind of girl. What can I say? I love good smells, and when a candle can burn SAFELY for hours, I'm sticking with it. Everyday I light my candle while I write on the computer. I recently received a different kind of candle as a gift (not Yankee), and I was really enjoying it. The fragrance was Bird of Paradise- another reason to love it. In fact, I noticed this new candle cost less than Yankee candles, so I was even thinking about switching over. Until today. The strangest, scariest, stinkiest thing happened and my heart's still all a-flutter. I lit this little sucker up and noticed the wick was off to the side, but didn't think anything of it. Then I proceeded to vacuum and started noticing a funny smell. A fire-like smell! Can you believe the glass was broken and the flame was growing? In seconds my St. Patrick's Day card could have been ignited and who knows what else. Whew. That was a close one. I blew out that little candle and can't wait to trash it, yet I am still in shock that the jar broke from the flame. I'm back to my Yankee candle again and this time I am not budging.
When Pete got home, he showed me how part of the plastic from the top had gotten stuck around the rim, so the bad smell was the plastic burning. Can you believe it? Thank you sweet Jesus for saving us from a near catastrophe.


Susan said...

Yikes! I'm so glad that you caught it in time.

Jeni said...

Oh, I'm so sorry it didn't work out. I love the title of it "Bird of Paradise". Made me think of Mary our sweet lil bird who is now in paradise. Too bad the plastic stuck to the rim. Good catch though my friend.