Friday, November 18, 2011

Leaving the Pit

I used to think that I
Was but a bothersome fly,

And perhaps less important
Than a crack in cement.

That what I said didn't matter,
So why mouth it?
That if I left I'd be forgotten,
So why visit?

I felt guilty with each gift or praise
Each accolade my doubt did raise.

Could it be that I
Was nothing more than shy?

Perhaps a little fearful
Of your discriminating eye?

Today I'm still working on it
Thanks to you I'm leaving the pit.

@laurie kolp

Prompt inspiration: Poets United Thursday Think Tank

8 comments:

The Bug said...

I like it! I also like my pit a little bit...

Maude Lynn said...

Fantastic write. I love
"that what I said didn't matter,
So why mouth it."

Grace said...

Very lovely reflections...I like it~

Heaven

Unknown said...

What you say matters so much!

The Unknowngnome said...

A very nive voicing.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. i appreciate this...have been there...and glad you are moving away from it...

Daydreamertoo said...

It's amazing how much we allow someone else to take our power away, our self worth etc. Glad you took yours back. Powerful.

Margaret said...

Such a wonderful poem this is about vulnerability. I think many can connect with this.