Monday, November 5, 2012

Mesh Mess




Everyone knows what mesh is, right? Part of a net, fabric, metal links for jewelry, weblike pattern; or to entangle, work together, etc. Well, let me tell you something that just doesn't mesh; the commercial I just saw on Cartoon Network.

Let me backtrack a bit. My middle son is home sick today with a headache, stomachache, overall blah feeling. Friday a substitute had a stroke in one of his classes. Literally, he had a stroke! I hope that's not what has my boy not wanting to go to school, but I digress. Let's get back to mesh.

I was sitting at my computer ruminating over what to work on. When someone is home during the day, it's really hard for me to get a lot of writing done. Anyway, Tom & Jerry was on the TV, my son resting in a recliner by my side with a cold washcloth on his forehead, when all of the sudden he starts making gurgling noises.

"EWW. I can't believe this."

Of course, I turn to the TV which is showing a class-action lawsuit ad for... get this... vaginal mesh! It was showing detailed diaphragm diagrams of the subject matter with an explicit narrative; all the possibilities, infections, etc.

"Oh, my God. What are you watching? Turn this off!" I said without thinking.

"It's Tom & Jerry, Mom. I know it's the middle of the day, but Tom & Jerry? Shouldn't they be showing ads for tonka trucks or Cheerios?"

"I just can't believe this." I was googling vaginal mesh at the same time I spoke. I'd never heard of such a thing. Was it some kind of STD or a new name for a mysterious discharge? Thank God I'm married.

Meanwhile, the channel had been changed to Phineas & Ferb where Doofenshmirtz was walking around with a net on his head. Now that's how mesh should be used on kid's shows. My son's forgotten about the whole thing. It will be a while before I can. But at least I know what not to do if I have future problems in that area.

1 comment:

Buddah Moskowitz said...

I have been there too. I agree with you. VagMesh? [smh]