Friday, August 7, 2009

A Simple Life

Remember, no matter where you go…there you are. (~Mary Engelbreit)

I used to try and run from myself. How, might you ask, could I do such a thing? Well, for me it was easy. I wrapped myself up in other people's problems, forever trying to be the hero and save them. In doing that, I didn't need to look at myself and what was bothering me. Instead, I focused on THEM- my children, my husband, my mother and my friends. Part of wanting to help others is just my nature, and it is a good thing to do; but I have found that I must first seek MY peace and happiness before I can truly help someone else. That is what I am doing today. And guess what? I am happy with myself- truly and honestly happy. My life is simple now, and I plan to keep it that way. No more over-committing myself or saying "yes" before thinking things through. I now can say "no" and give no reason. I don't worry about people-pleasing or wonder what they will think of me. I answer only to God now and I know He won't let me down. So even though someone took my name off a project I worked hard on, I am okay with it because God knows the truth. (Plus, I am still praying for this person, and it works).

So my question to you is- how do you simplify your life?

2 comments:

jake said...

girl..you have been busy and that is a good thing. ran across this little saying the other day at work...
"You can get a lot more done if you don't care who gets the credit..." and i believe Mark Twain may have penned it..

Jeni said...

"Don't sweat the small stuff" right?? you sound so good. I like Jake's comment too. I have some great quotes by great people on my website main page: www.jenicombs.com!
I keep it simple in my head - a daily reprieve... sometimes hourly. Life is too short to fret over things that aren't as important as we think they are.