Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Good/Bad Deed

Okay- so I mowed the backyard yesterday. I hadn't done that since last summer after Pete had his neck surgery. Then I mowed EVERY week and quickly grew tired of the tedious task. But yesterday I tackled the heat so I could relieve my hard-working husband of the responsibility when he got home from work. I donned my bikini top, shorts, visor and tennis shoes. What I had forgotten was that we now have a different lawn mower. I quickly learned it blew grass everywhere, and when I was finished, pieces of grass and dirt clung to my sweaty body.

I learned some good and bad lessons from my mowing debacle. First, I am still strong and able to do the job. But most importantly, I woke up dizzy-free (thanks to a double dose of allergy meds). Last summer every time I mowed the lawn, I had some of my dizzy problems the next day, but so far, so good. The bad news is I woke up sore. I have a blister on my hand between my thumb and pointer. The knuckles on that hand (the right) are swollen (palm side) and they hurt. Plus I have a dull headache that won't go away. Oh well- these negative consequences will not keep me from helping out again; rather, they will be used as lessons learned. Next time, I will dress appropriately and mow in the opposite direction (Pete said that prevents the grass from blowing up on you). I will wear garden gloves to protect my hands. Last, but not least, I will not wait until the grass is as long as it was. Then maybe I will feel better the next day. Have you done anything lately to help someone out?

2 comments:

jake said...

my only suggestion for lawn mowing..get a self-propelled mower. i finally purchased my first one this year...and after a lifetime of pushing one...i can only wonder why i didnt do it sooner...your dear little hubby just may 'get c'ha one' if you continue to mow the yard for him...

Jeni said...

I miss mowing the yard. Thanks for bringing back some memories. (i used to do the lawn in my short shorts & bikini top too) - IN HIGH SCHOOL! hehe.