Sunday, August 16, 2009

Snowy's Accident and Pete's Birthday


Today is Pete's birthday. Happy Birthday, Pete! I love you! The best present we have ever given my dear husband is our lovable dog Snowy (pictured above). He adores her, and she loves him. Watching Pete and Snowy interact is so sweet. Jake, my dog, loves Snowy too, and spying on them as they play can be hilarious at times. But in the backyard, Snowy loves to dig and get into everything. In case you don't remember, or are just beginning to read this blog, we adopted Snowy from the Humane Society and gave her to Pete for Christmas. The day we picked her up was the day it snowed here in Southeast Texas- hence the name Snowy (plus she has some white on her belly).
Well, yesterday Pete was grilling dinner outside when he came in suddenly and in a panic cried out, "Snowy has lost her eye!"
Katie started crying immediately, as any preteen girl would do, and I tried to remain calm.

"Are you saying her eyeball fell out?" I asked, unable to imagine what Pete meant.

Pete was rummaging through the phonebook to find the animal hospital that is open on the weekends.

"Her left eye is swollen shut and her eyeball is pushed back. The clear coating on the outside is gone. She might be blind now," Pete answered.

He called the emergency vet and immediately took Snowy in, as the rest of us sat and waited. Jake sat by the garage door, visibly concerned about his hurt buddy. Time seemed to pass very slowly as we tried to eat. Would Snowy need surgery? Would she be permanently unable to see from that eye? Would she die? All of these questions were scenarios floating through my head as I tried to swallow my dinner.

Pete finally called and I could hear the relief in his much calmer voice. Her eye was okay. She hurt it somehow, with a stick perhaps, and the eye naturally overreacts and swells shut so as to protect itself. They would be home soon, with eye drops, ointment and antibiotics for Snowy. The whole incident cost $125.00.

So today, on Pete's birthday, we have so much to be grateful for- Snowy will be okay, and so will Pete!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh Laurie.... you wrote that beautifully!! I was on the edge of my seat as I was reading that about Snowy & Pete. I am so glad that everything is working out! Happy Birthday Pete ~ xoxo.

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Thank you, my sweet friend! I appreciate you!

Holli said...

Happy Birthday and glad to hear Snowy was ok!