Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Thoughts on Prayer

Everything begins with prayer, spending a little time on our knees...If the world's rulers and leaders would spend a little time on their knees before God, I believe we would have a better world.
~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

I must admit I don't always get on my knees to pray (sometimes I just sit); but when I do, I feel closer to God- more humble before His eyes. Pete got me a birdfeeder with a cardinal at the top and placed it right outside our big front window. Most of you, if you read my other blog, Conversations With A Cardinal, know that when I spot a cardinal, I feel a great connection to my Higher Power, who I choose to call God. When I see a cardinal, I ALWAYS get down on my knees and say a prayer of thanks. Did you know that prayer doesn't have to be some formal recitation of a church prayer? Prayer can be a simple conversation with God.

I have several different ways to pray throughout the day. In the morning, I thank Him for the new day and ask Him to guide me through the day. I ask God to help me know His will for me and give me the power to carry it out. Then, as the day goes on, if I get irritated or feel resentment cropping up, I give the problem to God and say, "God is love. I am a child of God and He loves me." Sometimes I say the Serenity Prayer- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Sometimes I simply say, "God is." Then, at night, I thank Him for the day. This works for me- I invite you to try this. Let me know how it works!

No comments: