Saturday, August 8, 2009

"Been There, Done That"

One of my least favorite sayings is, "Been there, done that!" I feel as if my circumstance is somewhat belittled when someone says that to me; as if they think they are better than me. Let me give you an example. I was working on a writing project with a colleague, but it was the end of the school year and I had obligations for my children's events. I suggested to my colleague that she meet me at the park, where Nicholas (my youngest of three) was having a picnic and then free play. I thought we could sit in the shade at a picnic table and do our work. Her reply was, "Been there, done that- no thanks." She has only one child who is grown now. In reality, she didn't want to be around screaming five-year-olds. So now she is complaining about having to do the brunt of the work. I am powerless over her reactions. This once friend has cut me out of her life completely, and guess what? It hurts. Before I left for my sabbatical, she started lashing out at me through e-mails, citicizing my blog posts on Conversations With A Cardinal. I was writing a lot about my family heritage. My great great (etc.) grandfather, Charles Carroll signed The Declaration of Independence. My great grandmother wrote a book about growing up on a plantation that is in the Library of Congress. I am proud of those things and chose to write about them around Flag Day. Yet, she depreciated my efforts of trying something new. That hurt. When I got back this month, she had cut all ties with me. If she wants to be that way, I'll continue to pray for her. I've been there, done that with people like her.

No comments: