Monday, July 25, 2011

Unpeeling the invisible tape

I'm not one privy to conflict which is why, if one should occur, I usually sit back and watch. Sometimes I have to dig my hands underneath my legs or tape my mouth shut (because if I open it I usually stick my foot inside). Other times I feel compelled to voice my opinion, but do so with reluctance.

You see, I've lived most of my life caught up in this ridiculous fear of worrying what you might think. I'll turn the words I said, or wrote, over and over in my head as I play out each possible reaction. But I'm working on that.

Writing has helped tremendously. I have a voice to be heard with words to be understood when I write. I've gained courage to step out a little further, let my toes sink beneath the surface. And it feels good. 

This past weekend I watched/read in astonishment as words were slaughtered on the pages of a Facebook group I'm part of. Tempers ignited. Justifications and excuses flared. Others stepped into the tempest and expressed their feelings.

I was over here with the invisible tape and hand restraints.

Until today. I finally had had enough and decided to give my opinion. I did so without regret. I will not make lame excuses (such as a misfiring iPad). I will own up to my words.

And I will keep checking Facebook to see if anyone hit the 'Like' button.

Oh, well. That, my friends, is growth.

5 comments:

Mlissabeth said...

Good for you! I need to do that sometimes too, and I am learning that it is ok. It does not matter whether anyone likes what you say, I believe it only matters that you were heard.

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

All comments that are truly heart-felt are wonderful to hear and the occasional conflict born of actual clashes or misunderstanding provides the opportunity, to grow, to learn, and to forgive both one's self and others. It is the smiling face that represses feelings that is capable of inflicting the most hurt to yourself and to those who are close to you. I believe that true closeness and connection comes from the freedom to take off the invisible tape, it is only by talking together, that we can correct faulty perceptions of one another and move along together in peace of mind and love in this journey called life.

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

Dear Laurie.... no more invisible tape....your voice is as lovely as the flight of cardinals.....

Jeni said...

Good for you for "thinking it through" but yet speaking from your heart. AS long as words aren't spilled to cause pain, words should be heard.
I agree with Dr. Pearl:
"....your voice is as lovely as the flight of cardinals...."

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

Thanks Jeni :) .... I agree that words "should not be spilled to cause pain" ... Yet, words are powerful and conflict and differences can be hurtful... Then, is the time, I believe, for coming together in kindness to build bridges of understanding from places of commonality. Too often, just when people need to continue "using their words" they retreat in silence and then we are as cardinals with clipped wings :(