Monday, January 19, 2009

Ms. Angelle's Latest Drama

I know, I know- two posts in one day is a rare occurance for me, but I just had to share with you the latest on Ms. Angelle. The other day she called me and she was very upset. Apparently the guy who had been renting her garage apartment moved out overnight without telling her goodbye. She knew he would be moving soon- he was getting married and had gotten a townhouse. But Ms. Angelle didn't think he would leave like that. I remember when I took her to Sam's not long ago she had bought him a pack of underwear. She loved talking about her renter, and although he was barely ever there, she said she felt comfortable knowing there was a car in the driveway at night. Can you believe that Ms. Angelle, who is almost 94-years-old, would wash his clothes, iron them and change his sheets and towels? She is a spunky old lady, that's for sure. Perhaps the thing that really upset her the most was that he had taken one of her pillows. She was appalled and felt like she had misjudged him. In fact, she called me several times a day to vent about how she had been robbed. You would have thought he stole all her furniture, or that her only pillow was gone. But that is not the point. The point is that she is old and feels vulnerable and naive.

So I had a little conversation with Pete who knows the guy and asked him to please find out what the deal was. Pete hinted to the guy that the pillow was very important to Ms. Angelle and asked him to at least call her and tell her if he needed a pillow. Well, he did and not long after that, an exuberant and joyful Ms. Angelle called to tell me the sweet young man hadn't robbed her after all. He had just needed to borrow it. She was so happy not to feel used, that she found two pillows that she had never even gotten out of the package and put some fancy high thread count pillowcases on them for the poor young guy. I sure do hope he stops by to at least give her the chance to tell him goodbye.

We never really know how important we are to other people.

1 comment:

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

What an awful nice story and ending. Yo and Pete are so good. Please be around when I am 94. This is my favorite Ms. Angelle story. I sure would like to meet her one day.