Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Weeds as Flowers and Homes as Castles



Holly picked flowers for her mum
from the backyard bed unattended

only to watch as her mother
made a wish for a bigger house
blew, then threw the stems away

only to approach the scarlet rosebush
and proclaim them a better choice
pick, then prick her middle finger

Holly gathered flowers for herself
and ran inside her safe castle.

@laurie kolp

Poetry inspiration: One Single Impression (Weeds), Carry on Tuesday (No place like home)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful...

Unknown said...

I liked that!

Nanka said...

Lovely poem and liked the choice of the title too!! Beautiful imagery too!!

keithsramblings said...

Hi Laurie. Thanks for leaving a comment on my post 'Tomorrow' on my blog. Please don't think that I'm in no way avoiding your site. I simply don't have time to comment on all the contributions to Carry On Tuesday. Where you've seen my name, it's usually when I've commented on the work of somebody who is a regular visitor to my site, 'keiths ramblings'.I realy appeciate the way in which you visit COT on such a regular basis. Your piece here is absolutely delightful, even though you've used the prompt purely as inspiration rather than incorporating the actual words into your work. I hope you'll continue to join in.

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Mike Patrick said...

Proving once again, Laurie, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lovely poem.

Anonymous said...

sweet ...lovely!