Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Treat

Amid the musky attic shelf
     (rat infested, I might add)
a Swiss cheese box from years ago
     (remnants of some rodent's feast)
is begging for attention so
     (I start talking to myself)
I peek inside, my heart a drum
     (perhaps my voice will scare them off)
with shaking hands I dig within
     (I hope no mouse surprises me) 
a Polaroid I find therein
     (survived the rat attack, I guess)
that clearly screams "print me" at once
     (a picture of the Rat King?)
I follow through to my surprise
     (I'm now humming very loud)
are Grampa B's smiling eyes
     (a treat well worth the other threat).

@laurie kolp


Prompt inspiration: Poetic Bloomings

3 comments:

kaykuala said...

Laurie,
Strange things happen at strange places. Very enlightening verse!

Hank

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks, hank. This is fiction (thank goodness).

Unknown said...

I like the way that was written...the alternating lines. good one!