Saturday, September 24, 2011

French Quarter Lovers (Prose Poetry)

Strolling through the French Quarter, hungry singles look at passers-by as potential lovers. Horny men shop for immodest girls drunk enough to lift their shirts and jostle their tits; while lonely women stop and chat outside art galleries and exquisite restaurants in search of well-educated men. This is how they met-- by fated accident, or so they say; only she wore a muumuu dress roomy enough to hide a handle of vodka and he waited tables at a strip joint on Bourbon Street. Outside the St. Louis Cathedral I watched them move in slow motion, run like Chariots of Fire athletes until close enough to clutch one another in a loving embrace. Occasionally things turn out that way but most of the time French Quarter lovers wake up early the next morning, leave faster than you can say laissez les bon temps roulez. Such is the life in good old New Orleans.

@laurie kolp

Prompt inspiration~ The Sunday Whirl... Words for 9/25/11: accident, chat, jostle, motion, move, shop, occasionally, strolling, passers-by, outside, clutch, look

I'm also posting this to Poets United Poetry Pantry

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this!

Mary said...

What fun, Laurie; and different than your usual style. I especially loved the French in the second last line. Oui, oui!

Daydreamertoo said...

Gosh, having been there and inside that cathedral, sat at the Café du Monde and eaten their warm beignets, I could really 'see' this Laurie. What a lovely, very atmospheric write.

vivinfrance said...

An unusual take on the Wordle words, Laurie. Specially "jostle their tits"!

brenda w said...

Hooray for the occasional happy ending! I have mine in my life. Who knew I'd find him so late, and I didn't even have to jostle my tits. LoL We met on Match.com.

A visit to New Orleans is on my bucket list. Anne Rice fed my young woman fancies with her Mayfair Witches series and their descriptions of the Garden District in New New Orleans. I want to see the cemeteries, too.

Great piece...your off color pieces show depth and diversity in your work. Thanks for your kind e-mail, Laurie. You are a good person, and a damn find writer. :)

Brenda

brenda w said...

*blush* damn "fine" writer, even.

Nanka said...

We had a similar background theme but different continents and different culture!! Basically so much similar!! Since it was in haiku form not much details in mine!! You have done a splendid job here!! :)

Laurie Kolp said...

Thank you... I've spent time in good ole New orleans as a child and adult (but I'm modest).

Mike Patrick said...

What a wonderful, fun read. Never been to New Orleans, but now I want to go.

Peggy said...

Such an unexpected angle to take with this wordle. Loved this little visit to the French Quarter. I really enjoy the great variety of directions people take with these. And thank you too for your comments and visits to my blog.

Kelly said...

Loved this, Laurie! So descriptive and gritty. We are both in prose poem mode this week. :)

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Lovely, fun prose-poem!

irene said...

A fun and wild piece of work, Laurie!

Brother Ollie said...

nice - cool prose style.

Anonymous said...

. Outside the St. Louis Cathedral I watched them move in slow motion, run like Chariots of Fire athletes unti close enough to clutch one another in a loving embrace...

Laurie! This is so beautiful! You took me there in your imagery and I love when that happens! Thanks for a wonderful read!

Are you on google+? Add me: kellie elmore
:)

Traci B said...

I haven't been to the Quarter in over a decade, even though I'm not too far from New Orleans, but my memories are more of musicians, artists and street performers than illicit trysts and love connections. And CDM's legendary beignets, of course. :)

Interesting take on the wordle and a solid sense of place in this piece, Laurie.

Susannah said...

You really painted a strong and vivid picture with this weeks wordle words.

Very visual, well wordled Laurie.

Cathy said...

love it! and nice to see I'm not only who being bad with the love affairs.

Mr. Walker said...

Laurie, I love "or so they say" tucked away in there. A fun, and slightly naughty, prose poem. Thanks!

Richard