Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Two Poems

Battling Lovebugs

The big bad wolf
might resort to this form of mutilation
contorting bodies, twisting limbs without regard to humanity
baring fangs in drooling mouths, hunting

for bugs
unwanted nuisances slithering on the ceiling over your bed
crawling over tender skin buzzing, stinging until SPLAT!
they're history and you don't care

but lovebugs
cling to each other like Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming
harmless creatures spreading messages of love united as one
until the Big Bad Wolf, which is a car, crushes all hope

and you feel guilty.

@laurie kolp

Prompt inspirations: Kerry O'Conner's Wednesday challenge at Real Toads...

**************************************************

...and over at Poetic Asides, Robert Lee Brewer wanted us to take the first line of another poet and use it in the first line of our poem.

Finding Myself

(*after Robert Frost)

As I went down the hill along the wall*
cloaked in ivy climbing kelly green,
I saw a diamond hiding ‘neath the leaves
reflecting truth I not before had seen

for in that gem a stranger did appear
with probing eyes like headlights in the dark
through which an open heart beaconing
the image of myself His love did spark.

@laurie kolp

12 comments:

Jules said...

Love the love bug one, lol! Hate the lovebugs though.

Mystic_Mom said...

I like them both, your take on the challenge by using the love bugs is really fun and darkly cool.

The borrowed line to start a poem is a neat idea, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love Splat! they're history and you don't care!

Robert Lloyd said...

Laurie you made me laugh out loud after reading your first poem. I love the random fun that it ties together. After reading the poem I don't know how guilty I feel about smashing love bugs with my car.

Jinksy said...

cloaked in ivy climbing kelly green,
mmmm - great picture...

Daydreamertoo said...

Aww Poor love bugs!
A very nice read from you :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

You took the metaphor of the big bad wolf in a whole new direction. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

This was really different, what a curious and lovely take!

Peggy said...

Interesting and unexpected direction for the predator prompt! I love seeing where others go with prompts. I like your Robert Frost as well.

Kay L. Davies said...

Well, I didn't know about lovebugs until I googled them. I thought it was just a term of endearment for people.
So, they're real bugs who stay in the mating position for a long time. Poor things.
I don't think I'd feel guilty about the car.
Interesting take on the prompt, however. Good for you to see it from another angle.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Ed Pilolla said...

i really liked the first one. it had a meandering feel to it that went in an original direction with just the right amount of gory flair:) for me anyway...

Maude Lynn said...

Finding Myself is really beautiful!