Friday, May 13, 2011

Big Tent's Final Prompt

My dogs Jake and Snowy

It’s a Dog’s World

Sassy’s master tried to train her well:

Sit, Sassy!
Demanding that she sit and stay
Fetch, Sassy!
Tossing tennis balls for her retrieval
Heel, Sassy!
Teaching her to walk on his left side

And this is what he got:

Whoosh!
Sassy ran right past him
In pursuit of squirrel-teases
As fuzzy yellow balls rolled on by
Sniff! Sniff!
Sassy stopped every fifth step to do her business
Getting lost in the leash’s tangled mess
Wag! Wag!
Sassy greeted happy friends and visitors with jumps of joy
Wet kisses and a thump-thumping tail

I guess the saying’s true:
“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

@laurie kolp

“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” was originally coined by E.C. Brewer in 1898.

Big Tent Poetry will be missed tremendously. I wish everyone the best in their endeavors. I'll be seeing you around!

9 comments:

flaubert said...

This rings true about a couple of my dogs, Laurie. Nice.

Pamela

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Fun one. And yes, I grew up with dogs and this definitely rings a bell. :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm a life long dog lover, so you had me with the photo (which I love) and your poem reminds me of so many four-legged friends. Thank you,

Elizabeth

Mary said...

Clever, Laurie. Most dogs have minds of their own! Point well made.

Unknown said...

This is a terrific sensory poem. Read it. See it. Feel it!

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks... I love dogs!

Mr. Walker said...

Laurie, this is a fun read. My boys are fascinated with dogs; they want one so badly, so we watch them all the time. You capture their behavior so well - and their humans too.

Richard

Deb said...

I'm watching Dog Whisperer as I catch up on blogging! Perfect!

Yes, yes, we'll see you around!

irene said...

Delightful capture of doggy fun!