Sunday, May 15, 2011

PA Poetic Challenge: The Bop

Breaking through Curtain Walls

Hands of peaks and valleys pale
slushy feet long for grass and sun.
A whirlybird in a swivel chair,
its sweaty seat like chewed-up gum.
I talk, no snaps; furry ears perk up.
I am alone, I want to run.

Isolation is the wall I’ve built.

As a child I spent lonely sprees
safe within my castle door. Yellow
curtains offered sunshine, bright
comfort. Crisp and clean tranquility
when all around was war. Branching
out I tripped on roots time and
time again. Like a ricochet I shied
away, dying with each backwards step.

Isolation is the wall I’ve built.

I drank and ate and sexed myself,
eroding secrets termites to my soul.
Until I raised my arms, asked for help.
Levitating pesky ghosts, letting go--
no longer fueled by fear. Now when left
all by myself, my God is with me near.

Isolation is the wall I’ve built.

@laurie kolp

*To find out more about the Bop form and contest rules, visit Poetic Asides.

3 comments:

Reflections said...

Ooh... I love this piece. Tight write, powerful!

Mary said...

Really, Laurie, this is one of my favorite poems that I have read of yours. Terrific. I am going to have to look for that Bop form.

Laurie Kolp said...

From the depths of my heart, I thank you Mary and Reflections.