Sunday, May 22, 2011

My brush with plumage

Imagine my surprise when I touched a dove. It was quite unexpected and really took me by surprise. I had noticed the peaceful presence on my front porch the day before when I was checking the mail. I opened the door and there he was. I hadn't even scared him off. He simply went on with his business as usual, and then waddled away. Little did I know I would later meet him on a more personal level.

The next time I came in contact with the grey bird was when I opened the door that goes from my home to the garage. I didn't see him at first; I touched him... with my toes. When I stepped out, my foot brushed up against what felt like a soft pillow of feathers. I had no idea what I had encountered, so my heart started racing. Was a mouse that close to the house? I opened that door hundreds of times a day because not only do I get to my car that way, but the washing machine and dryer is in the garage. Nothing had ever come that close to the door, but I had seen an 'EEK' mouse once. Had I kicked a mouse? My adreneline soared like the summer heat in Texas.

Fortunately, when I looked down I saw the tame dove. He flitted his wings a little (I'm sure I scared him as much as he scared me), but then started meandering away from me like before. I tiptoed from a close distance behind him to make sure he wasn't hurt. I could see no sign of injury or wing problem. He marched on out of the garage, down the driveway and to the bushes. I haven't seen him since... but I'm waiting.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oh Laurie - how lucky you are! I dream of touching the birds around me. Sometimes it looks like they are trying too - I get in arms length and looooove it!
Lucky Laurie! love you!